Why Run ?
There are hundreds of reasons for running, many of which are personal to your own circumstances. Here are ten particularly good ones:
1. Running is accessible to everyone It's convenient.
The beauty of running is that you can do it anywhere, no matter where you live or travel, an excellent area for running always close by. Anyone can do it, if you can put one foot in front of the other, you can run.
2. Running is for families and individuals of all ages
There are running programmes for children and veterans over 40, and most races have events that are geared towards families and specific age groups.
3. Running is the most efficient path to cardiovascular fitness
Four 30-minute runs a week will yield excellent fitness levels in the shortest possible time.
4. Running is great for your heart
Running makes your heart's walls thicken and the internal chambers increase in size. As a result, more blood is sent to the lungs, and your resting pulse can decline by 20 per cent or more. Run for 145 minutes a week and you are 40 percent less likely to have a heart attack.
5. Running is inexpensive and simple to learn.
Other than decent shoes and basic clothing, all you need to run is entusiasiam. Everone knows how to run, and information on training is available from the experienced coaches at Hailsham Harriers.
6. Running is the best method of stress reduction around.
Thirty minutes of running will work wonders in dissolving stress accumulated at work. According to psychologists, regularly spending time outdoors, especially in green areas, staves off depression and anxiety.
7. Running is an excellent component of any weight control programme.
Few activities burn calories mre quickly. Studies have conclusively shown that even within the first week of running fat burning will increase. Incoming fat that would have gone into the storage instead gets shifted to the muscles, and once there it is burned as fuel both during and after a run. It also tones and strengthens the muscles of the lower body.
8. Running is a flexible method of training.
You can run at your own pace, with or without company, at whatever type of day suits you.
9. Running makes you feel good
Your fitness, self-esteem and confidence will all increase with a regular running prgramme.
10. Running offers a unique opportunity to mix with world class athletes.
You can't play in the FA Cup Final or a test match, but on almost every weekend, runners compete in the very same events as some of the fastest human beings on the planet.